Thursday, August 20, 2009

"I Am Human, Nothing Human is Alien to Me"




























Stephanie Klein has a blog that used to be called Greek Tragedy... She is somewhat of a blogger celebrity, and many people either love or hate her. I subscribe to her blog on my Google reader because sometimes she will post something that is so profound to me, something that makes me feel like I am not the only one who feels those internal experiences that seem like other people don't. They are the private thoughts and feelings which seem to me like other people may or may not experience, but I would never know because hardly anyone talks about them. It's a faulty and self-centered assumption though, because these are the feelings which make us human.

The Roman playwright, Terence, has a famous quote in which he answered to his neighbor, who told him to mind his own business: "Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto." (I am human, nothing human is alien to me.) Many other great thinkers have also been quoted as saying this; Maya Angelou and Karl Marx are a couple I can think of. Its such a simple statement, but so profound. How would life be different if more people embraced this idea?

Do you relate to Stephanie Klein's post?
Read: On the Horizon, by Stephanie Klein




No comments:

Sponsors