Thursday, November 09, 2006

Kyoko Hamada




Kyoko Hamada

This artist is from Japan, and is one of the most up and coming photographers right now. Her work is really simple and stark, with a lot of crisp linear lines. There is something about her work that I can't quite put my finger on...because I've seen work that is similar in style, but there is something different about hers. I think it has something to do with the relationship between the objects. For example, the boy and the building- on so many levels they are so much opposite, but also so similar. Or, the grandmother and the girl; the bleak optimism that takes up the physical space between them.

Through putting these scenes in a frame, the ordinariness of these people and objects somehow escapes the invisible obscurity they would normally have. You know what I mean? Like, I am walking to work like I do everyday, but that simple act can escape obscurity because I have decided to make it different.

To see these photographs properly, you will need to go to a different website. You can see more of her work here.

No comments:

Sponsors